The term widget refers to any tool or content that you add, arrange or remove from the sidebar(s) of your blog — these are the blocks that make up your sidebar.
We’ve added the most popular widgets embedded into text widgets on class and student blogs to our right sidebar on the front page of this blog so you can check out the different widgets in one location! Remember this is a demo blog and you wouldn’t necessarily see all these different widgets on a blog.
Commonly used widgets
Widgets are used for a wide range of purposes including:
- Help students, parents and visitors find information on the blog e.g. Search widget, pages widget, category widget, tag widget
- Track visitors to the blog. Visitor tracking widgets are used to highlight a blog’s global audience. This can be incredibly motivating for students and provides a built in geography lesson. e.g. Flag Counter, Feedjit Live Traffic Feed, ClustrMaps, Revolver Map.
- Student engagement e.g. Quiz widgets, Pet widgets.
- Information to help other classes learn more about your class e.g. date widgets, date/time widgets, weather widget
- Latest news e.g. Twitter widget. Lots of classes now have their own class twitter account and display their tweets using the Twitter widget. Here is where you’ll find my list of Class Twitter accounts and School Twitter accounts.
- Links to helpful resources, student blogs and other class blogs e.g. Links widget, Pinterest widget
- Help parents, caregivers and other visitors translate your blog e.g. Google Translate widget.
- Events Calendar for important dates e.g. Google Calendar
- Monthly Calendar e.g. Calendar widget
- Book lists e.g. Shelfari bookshelf and Gooodread bookshelf
- Email notification of new posts e.g. email subscription widget
- Displaying comments or posts recently posted e.g recent comments widget, recent posts widget
About the Text widget
The handiest widget you’ll find in your dashboard is the text widget.
You can add any other widgets you find on the Internet by pasting their embed code into a text widget in your sidebar.
We’ve added links to popular widgets in our Pinteret cool widgets board. Clicking on most of the widgets on the front page of this blog takes you to the website where you can grab the embed code for the widget.
Adding a text widget to your sidebar
Adding a widget is as simple as:
1. Go to Appearance > Widget in your Dashboard.
2. Click on the desired Sidebar to expand (so you can add the widgets)
3. Drag the text widget from the Available Widgets into the desired Sidebar.
Adding embed code to a text widget
Adding a widget from another website is as simple as: 1, 2, 3….
Find the embed code for the widget!
Paste the embed code into a text widget in your sidebar.